Be Web Smart is a web site offering articles, tips, guidance and reviews for parents who want to keep their families safe and productive online. Site creator Jean Dumais has worked as a web professional since 1998. She has the ability to absorb technical information and translate it for those who are not technically minded.
Before creating Be Web Smart, Jean started a personal blog in 2011. She found herself writing most about technology-related topics. Around the same time, with her then 10-year-old daughter using the computer more often, she also found herself in need of parental control solutions. She researched and shared her findings on her blog, and with her friends. Jean realized that other parents she knew were in search of simply written, action-oriented, and practical advice on the topics she wrote about. So she started this site with that same focus in mind.
Some of the topics Jean writes about are:
- Safe searching in Google, Yahoo, and Bing
- Popular apps and sites parents may worry about such as iMessage, Kik and Instagram
- Restriction settings on devices such as iPod touch, iPad, iPhones, and other tablets
- Facebook Privacy settings for you and your teen
- Parental Control software options
- Website and app reviews for parents and kids to get the most out of what the web has to offer
- How to talk to your kids about technology, privacy, and online safety
I haven’t always been a techie. After graduating from college with a degree in psychology, I enjoyed a short-lived career as a counselor at an adolescent girls’ group home, and then another as a satellite dish salesperson. Then one day in 1996 a friend showed me the HTML code behind a web page he had created for our a cappella singing group. I was intrigued! So I taught myself how to design and code web pages and returned to school for a Certificate in Web Site Design and Development. Fast-forward to 2015 and I’m a webmaster for the regional office of a government healthcare agency, a position which I’ve held for over thirteen years.
When I’m not sitting in front of a computer, I enjoy movies, music, yoga, working out, cooking and baking. I live in the beautiful seacoast area of New Hampshire with my husband and daughter.