Thank you to all who responded to my recent reader survey. The feedback I received helped with my upcoming website redesign. I’ve been working on the new website for nearly a month and it is almost ready! I plan to launch it over the weekend. Here’s a preview along with some of the findings from the survey.
There are three main reasons I’m redesigning Be Web Smart:
- The WordPress theme I am using is no longer supported and therefore I cannot upgrade to the current version of WordPress. WordPress is the platform that I use to publish the site, and the “theme” is the design of the site.
- The current site does not display well in a mobile browser. When reading articles on a phone, one has to zoom in to read the text.
- It was time for a new fresh look after three years. Yes, Be Web Smart just celebrated a birthday!
Here is a summary of responses to last month’s Web Smart survey. You may wonder if other parents have the same concerns you do – I think you’ll see here that for the most part, the answer is yes!
What topics are you most interested in learning about?
With new apps launching almost constantly, it can be a lot to keep up with. Since the majority of respondents have a teen at home, it wasn’t surprising that the top topic of interest was “Apps popular with teens”. And with the number of mobile devices being used by kids and teens, parental control software for phones and tables was another popular response. I’ll continue reviewing and posting reviews of apps and parental control solutions.
|Apps popular with teens (Snapchat, Instagram, Ask.fm, Whisper and the like)||86.3%|
|Keeping information private/digital footprint||37.1%|
|Kid-friendly apps and sites||12.9%|
|Parental Control software and tools for the computer||26.6%|
|Parental Control software and tools for phones and tablets||58.9%|
Biggest concerns when it comes to kids and technology
Many of the parental control solutions on my “list to be reviewed” have features for setting time limits on devices and restricting inappropriate content. These were the two biggest concerns, but as one respondent commented, “My biggest concerns when it comes to kids and technology: actually is all of them”.
|Communicating with strangers on the internet||41.9%|
|Too much time spent online and using phones/devices/tablets||47.6%|
|Exposure to inappropriate content||58.1%|
How old are the kids?
Makes sense that most respondents have tweens and teens in the home, as that is when online activity, mobile device, and social media use really take off.
|Other (I should have specifed 18+)||4%|
Do you read articles on a computer, tablet, or phone?
Seems that those of you who answered the survey are partial to reading on their computer. This is actually in contrast to what I see in terms of visits to the site in general (i.e. those who find the site through Google or other links) who are usually on a mobile device or tablet. Hopefully the redesigned site will ensure that anyone can easily access and read the information regardless of the device used.
Can you find what you’re looking for?
Most of you can find information easily enough. With the redesign, I’ve tried to make the navigation a little easier to access on mobile. I’ll also be able to highlight a variety of topics on the home page. And the search box is still available on the right side of the page. Always feel free to contact me if you can’t find something!
|Most of the time||68.5%|
|Some of the time||22.6%|
Your thoughts on the ads I see on Be Web Smart
One of the ways I support this site is by displaying ads. I earn a small amount of money each time an ad is displayed and/or clicked, and this allows me to cover the costs of operating the site. I do try to maintain a balance and never want to be too “spammy”. I was glad to hear that most of you don’t find these ads to be a problem.
|They seem relevant||6.5%|
|I haven’t really noticed them||83.1%|
|There are too many||2.4%|
|They seem spammy||2.4%|
And thank you very much for your kind comments
Many of you left a comment, some of which I’ve included on my Testimonials page, and adding a few more here.
- You are doing a great job and I appreciate your insights. Raising kids in a technology driven era is challenging. Thank you!
- Love your site!
- It is nice to have an easy to use resource/filter for us time and technology limited analog parents.
- Thank you. Wish you would have been around 10-15 years ago. It is hard being a parent now days!!!
- Keep up the good work!! We need you!!
- I am a middle school counselor and share your site to parents ALL the time! Thank you for the helpful, informative and easy to follow/read information. 🙂
- Love that I can understand when you explain things i.e. it’s in parent language!
- Keep it up please!!! Thank you.
- We live in times of monumental change. Do not become fatigued in your efforts. No one can do it all. All of us can do some. Keep doing.
- I appreciate your info. My kids are just about grown up so I don’t often read them anymore but I sometimes share your articles as I have many friends with younger children.
I’m always open to comments and questions – you can comment on any article or send a message. Thanks for reading!