So let’s say you’re like me and you have reconnected with friends from your past on Facebook. You might have your high school friends, college buddies, and former co-workers. And then you have groups of people like family, neighbors, and book club. And perhaps, a few acquaintances.
A friends list is a way to group people together. Once you have a friends list you can use it in various ways, such as restricting certain portions of your profile to certain groups of friends. This is a great feature because it puts you in control of what certain groups of people can see.
This is basically a 2-step process:
- Create a list and put friends into the list
- Limit what members of the list can see on your profile
So Let’s Do it!
[Updated January 2015]
First Step: Create a List
- On your News Feed, scroll down and on the left side hover over the word “Friends”. Then click “More“.
- Then, near the top right of the page, click “Create List”.
- Name your list, for example “college buddies”, or “work colleagues” or “People I don’t know but didn’t want to admit it so I accepted the friend request”. In this example I’ll set up a list for “Book Club”. Start typing the names you want to add to the list. In this case I’ll start with my book buddy Jennifer.
- Then click “Create ”.
Second Step: Limit what members of the list can see
Okay, so now you have your Book Club list. Let’s say you don’t want your book buddies to see certain details about you. For example, you might not want them to see posts that others have tagged you in, because you don’t have control over who can tag you. So here’s how to do it:
- Go to Settings and click on Timeline and Tagging settings.
- Click on the area “Who can see posts you’ve been tagged in on your timeline?” (or click Edit next to that).
- The default setting is “Friends”. We’ll change that by clicking on the button. Choose “Custom“.
- In the box “Don’t share this with” start typing the name of your list. Facebook will find the list – click it to add the list as shown below. Click “Save Changes”.
You’re done! The result is that now, only your friends can see posts you’re tagged in, except your Book Club members. You can repeat the process for any other category that you’d like to restrict.
Hope this tip helps you feel more confident sharing information on Facebook.